Tuesday, November 11, 2008

They Sound Too British?



In April, MTV News took an interesting look at the success of British music in America. As commonly assumed, British artists have a difficult time becoming widely successful in this country. MTV News correspondent, John Norris, spoke with several British artists to get their perspective on this issue.

I am personally frustrated by this situation. As an American consumer of British music, I have come to the realization that I will never hop in my car, turn on my radio, and spontaneously hear The Kooks, Feeder, or the Arctic Monkeys blasting from my stereo. When having conversations with friends or acquaintances, I highly doubt these people will know of the artists whose concert I went to see last week. I am sure that most indie music fans experience these situations, and maybe they don't care, but I think it lends to my overall frustration with mainstream American music. Most people are not given the chance to hear enough variety in the music heavily promoted by the industry. While I regularly bash MTV for a variety of reasons, I have to commend them for at least highlighting this issue.

On that note, here is one of my favorite songs by The Kooks, Ooh La:

No comments: